A collaborative mixed media community project to build a fantasy beehive diorama. Curiosity required, experience irrelevant.
Massasoit Community College, Brockton, MA
Part I-Building Honeycombs
Part II-Hive Mind
Part III-Bees And Flowers
Finished Installation Images
Before & After
During this project we forged a living hive community with connections that extended well beyond the finished art forms. Roland Blanchette’s description on the plaque next to the work reads:
The Hive is a figurative rendition of the life of bees. The backdrop, the flowers, and the honeycombs create a place like no other. This is also true of Massasoit’s cafeteria. Each bee in The Hive is unique and different, like our students: endlessly active, endlessly interesting. -Roland Blanchette, PhD
Greatest thanks go to:
- Karen Curran & Hianula Monteiro. Massasoit students, co-creators.
- Donna Beals, Roland Blanchette, & Sue Thomas. Massasoit staff, co-creators…with Roland providing organizational support and engineering in addition to creativity at every necessary and normal obstacle. He did this often, always exceeding my expectation.
- Don Browne. My better half in life, and a master of carpentry power tools. He keeps all my creative limbs intact for the next adventure.
- All the bees were made from the elegantly designed Bee Puzzle by Mutsuki.
- Mike Tripp, President of The Tripp Company of Braintree MA and his staff. All the bees were cut on the Tripp company’s amazing UNIVERSAL laser cutting equipment.
- The Art Connection of Boston who subsidized some of the materials costs and connected me with the Massasoit community so HIVE could have a home outside of my heart and brain.
- Everyone in the Massasoit Community College organization who was willing to help facilitate making a home for this vision. Massasoit is a unique institution and is a gem in the City of Brockton.